Yachting New Zealand positions available
We like our boats at Yachting New Zealand and need someone to make sure a lot of our systems tick along the way they should.
We're looking for an administrator with a yachting background to support the organisation, particularly around big-boat sailing (keelboats, multihulls and trailer yachts), race officials and volunteer training.
The successful applicant will also work in the front of house, providing a professional and friendly face to everyone who contacts Yachting New Zealand and enquires about sailing and boating in this country.
Based in our Takapuna office, this is an exciting opportunity for a highly-organised administrator who has the ability to multi-task. It is a permanent and fulltime role.
You will be working closely within the team at Yachting New Zealand and support two important Yachting New Zealand committees - the Cruising, Inshore and Offshore Racing Committee and the Race Officials Committee – as well as overseeing the national events system.
You will also be responsible for:
- the Yachting New Zealand national boat register
- the national yacht handicapping system (PHRF)
- the implementation of race official and volunteer training
- keeping the Yachting New Zealand office humming
Your ideal background
Your can-do attitude, coupled with great interpersonal skills and attention to detail, will ensure you succeed in this role. You are customer centric, practical, logical and thrive on the challenge of working in a busy and varied position. We are also looking for:
- Experience in using a customer relationship management (CRM) system
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously while being part of a collaborative team
- A background in sailing and an understanding of the sport is preferable
If you want to know more, find the full job description in the PDF below.
And if you’re keen to join us, apply today. Please include your CV and a cover letter detailing why you feel you would be suitable for this position.
Submit applications to Raynor Haagh, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close October 3, 2022.
Other positions available
Ponsonby Cruising Club - Head Coach
The Ponsonby Cruising Club is seeking a head coach to manage their successful learn to sail program.
The successful applicant will be initiative-taking, have great communication skills and be able to adapt to the variety of tasks that make this such an interesting position. Growing our sailing school is a primary objective of the PCC, so marketing/social media savvy would be a bonus.
Hours are flexible, full or part-time, and the pay is competitive.
We’ve got a great team this year and we’re looking for YOU!
Please apply via email to: email@example.com
Bucklands Beach Yacht Club Coach 2022-2023
Job Position: RS Feva Sailing Coach
Start Date: October 2022
Apply CV: Please send CV to Sarah Jane Fairley firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 19th September 2022
Expressions of interest are invited for the position of RS Feva Sailing Coach at the Buckland Beach Yacht Club.
Bucklands Beach Yacht Club is based in Half Moon Bay, Auckland and sail around the Tamaki River area. Bucklands Beach Yacht Club is one of Auckland’s few Sailing Academy’s that cover everything from Junior Learn to Sail to Adult Learn to Sail; and also focuses on the RS Feva Youth Programme and School Team Sailing Program. We also have a Centreboard division where the children train in Optimists for the Green Fleet. And race optimists and other classes.
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated and well organised person who is a skilled sailing coach. The successful candidate will have skills such as great communication and a team builder to continue coaching our successful sailing programs.
- RS Feva Youth Sailing programme during the season.
- After School Programme, Holiday programmes & weekend coaching programmes.
- Developing the skills of sailors
- Focus on our RS Feva Fleet.
- Mentoring young Sailors.
- Yachting New Zealand Lean to Sail Coach 1 & 2
- Yachting New Zealand Race Coach
- Powerboat Drivers Qualifications
- Current First Aid Certificate
This is a role which will be primarily based on one weekday after school for approx. 4 hours and at weekends for approx. 4 hours on a Saturday.
Great Escape Sailing - Sailing Instructors
We're looking for sailing instructors to join our successful sailing school and yacht charter business in the Bay of Islands. Great Escape Sailing provides boats and instructors so our sailors can sail by themselves in the beautiful Bay of Islands, even if they've never sailed before. We have a fleet of yachts from 20’ to 31’, perfect for exploring the many bays and islands in our world renown cruising ground.
This will be a fixed term contract for the 2022-23 season (November to March) with a six-on three-off roster which includes weekends and public holidays, (some flexibility on schedule). The role includes teaching sailing, assessing sailors’ skills, and dock operations, such as briefing bareboat sailors, moving boats around and ensuring boats are ready for sailors. We have great processes, resources, and proven courses to ensure your success.
Ideally you have extensive keelboat sailing experience, experience teaching/coaching adults in an outdoor environment and great interpersonal skills. If you have a keelboat recreational sailing coaching qualification that's great but we can help you get qualified.
Check us out here: https://www.greatescape.co.nz/
Our purpose is to share the passion and joy of sailing in one of the best cruising grounds in the world.
Cool things we offer:
- An awesome and unique place to work!
- Competitive pay
- Excellent training and support
- Sailing shirts and gear
Please contact Julie to apply or with any questions via email at email@example.com
Waikato Thames Yachting Youth Development Officer / Coach
The Waikato Thames Yachting Association are looking for an energetic, self-motivated person to lead their programmes with a sole objective to grow participation in sailing.
They offer programmes targeted at youngsters, particularly Years 6-9, through a variety of have-a-go-type sessions and learn to sail courses through to learn to race. There is also an opportunity for sailors to progress through to the Starling and Laser classes.
Waikato Thames Yachting – Youth Development are the sailing provider for the Sports Waikato Energise Programme, who take schools to Lake Karapiro for a variety of activities, including sailing. They have also provided the sailing component for Yachting New Zealand’s Kokokaha educational programme.
The successful candidate will work alongside other WTYA coaches in the region, assisting when requested.
Certification required: YNZ level 1 coach, powerboat licence, first aid certificate, drivers licence.
The successful applicant will be offered a fixed term contract from October 5 through to April with an opportunity to continue on a specific capacity through the winter.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
The New Zealand International Optimist Dinghy Association (NZIODA) are seeking expressions of interest from coaches for the following Optimist teams for 2023:
- World championships team
- European championships team
- Asian and Oceanian championships team
- Girls' development team
- Junior boys' development team
- Senior development team
The NZIODA committee want to create a pool of coaches from around the country who have a variety of skills and who are available for this season and beyond. Their aim is to further grow and build the coaching talent New Zealand has while providing a coaching pathway for New Zealand coaches to embrace.
You will be expected to be involved in coaching forums and will need to complete coaching, safety, first aid and RIB certifications to an appropriate level.
You will also be expected to be involved in NZIODA clinics as part of the role. This could be at the North Island, South Island or a regional clinic anywhere throughout New Zealand.
If you are keen to grow your skills as a coach, be instrumental in developing the next generation of sailing talent in New Zealand and want to have the chance to travel the world doing what you love, then register your interest below.
The deadline to show your interest is October 1, 2022.
Napier Sailing Club - Club manager
The Napier Sailing Club is a strong, thriving sports club with more than 1000 members and an exciting opportunity offering a fulltime, salaried position for a club manager has become available.
Napier Sailing Club is involved in sailing (competitive, learn to sail for adults and children, organising and running regattas) and the role will also entail maintaining and utilising facilities – clubrooms available for members, venue hire, boat storage, marina berths and moorings, boat ramps, travel lift etc.
A position description is available on the club's website.
Applicants must display:
- A strong background in sports club administration preferred
- Proven networking and relationship building skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be able to work as part of a small, dedicated team
- Strong financial background, Xero use beneficial
- Good leadership, judgement and energy required
For more information or to apply, mail PO Box 12048, Ahuriri, Napier or email email@example.com
Applications close: August 28, 2022
Northcote-Birkenhead Yacht Club LTS coaches wanted
Northcote-Birkenhead Yacht Club is looking for paid Learn-to-Sail coaches for the summer season.
Sunday mornings, 8.30am-12.30pm
October 16th – December 18th & February 12th – April 2nd
Coaching Level 1/2 in Optimists, RS Quests, RS Fevas
If you’re unable to commit to all dates, please contact us anyway, we can be flexible.
If you’re interested, please contact Blake: firstname.lastname@example.org, 0211757173
The NZ Sailing Trust - Crew
Do you want to come and crew on Steinlager 2 and Lion New Zealand?
We are a New Zealand outdoor education, youth development provider operating mainly in the Tīkapa Moana / Hauraki Gulf Marine Park. Our New Zealand maritime environment is one of our greatest treasures and one that many in our communities have not experienced. Our programmes encourage young New Zealanders to become active in the great outdoors. Being able to sail on and be a part of this environment instils a greater appreciation of the need to protect our marine environment.
The Trust works in partnership with charities, schools and community groups offering programmes on board these iconic yachts. At the core of the Trust is a passion extending back to the campaigns of Sir Peter Blake which fired New Zealand’s imagination and appetite for adventure.
What do we deliver
The New Zealand Sailing Trust programmes focus on participants overcoming and embracing social and personal challenges. Together, we provide experiences that bring to life the values of leadership, courage, teamwork, communication, determination and respect.
Each team member has the opportunity to learn and complete the various roles that are required onboard our vessels. They learn the skills of navigation, boat preparation and sailing, preparation of meals and how to live on a maxi yacht.
We deliver essential life skills that inspire our youth and gives them an opportunity to build confidence and self-belief. As an individual and a team member, they are left with a great sense of achievement at the end of their journey.
What we are looking for
- We are on the look out for enthusiastic Deckhands, First Mates and Skippers to join our team.
- Advantageous to have experience working with, instructing and relating to young people
- Sailing experience
- Good level of fitness
- Good communication, time keeping and personal presentation
- First aid certificate
- Love to work outdoors
- Deckhands require to hold a Deckhand Qualification or be enrolled for this
- First Mates are required to hold SRL or be enrolled for this
Skippers require SRL with a P endorsement, >24m <500GT Endorsement or ring fenced equivalent, prefer Coastal Medic and understanding of diesel engineering and yacht systems
Contact email@example.com or call 021 333 816
Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron - Coach
The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron are looking for a coach to assist with the coaching of the Youth Training Programme and Performance Programme.
This role involves both on-water coaching and administration behind the programmes.
It also involves assisting the sailing manager to run all events held in the club's fleet of Elliott 7 keelboats.
Please find the job description attached below and email a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to be considered.
Murrays Bay Sailing Club Head Coach - Optimist Class
Murrays Bay Sailing Club (MBSC) aims to provide young sailors with the best possible environment and opportunity to sail fast and achieve excellence in the sport of centreboard sailing.
To achieve this, MBSC is looking to employ a high performing head coach for the club’s international Optimist class programme.
The successful applicant, with the support from their coaching team, will be focused on developing all of their sailors through the Optimist fleets, helping them reach their potential both domestically and onto international regattas.
The position needs filling by September 30, 2022.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to Rob Cleghorn email@example.com.
Mackay Boats - boat fit-out specialist
Mackay Boats are looking for a fit-out specialist to run their fit-out team at their Silverdale base.
The fulltime role would suit someone with previous floor management experience who knows a lot about and is passionate about fitting out small racing yachts.
The job involves:
- Final fit-out of hulls
- Assembly of components
- Final gelcoat detailing
- Fibreglass and gelcoat repairs
- Adherence to all build processes and company QA
- Adherence to company health & safety policies
- Must have a current work visa or be a New Zealand citizen
Mackay Boats are a leading international manufacturer of Olympic class 470, 49er and 49erFX racing yachts. They also build other high performance racing yachts like the foiling Moth, VX One, Starling and international 420.
Mackay Boats have a reputation for building and assembling high-quality racing yachts that have won numerous Olympic and world championship titles.
Sail Northland Charitable Trust - Sailing Coach
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.sailnorthland.org.nz
START DATE: 10 October 2022
● Sail Northland are looking to appoint an experienced centerboard sailing coach for junior, youth and adult sailors, over the summer months (October - March). Our current programme includes Learn to Sail classes for junior, youth and adult including performance sailing and Have-a-Go days.
● The Sail Northland Charitable Trust Team is based in Parua Bay, Northland and involves our local community from our young sailors through to our wonderful volunteers.
● Whangarei is a vibrant town in Northland that offers cycle trails, amazing beaches, a variety of bush walks and water activities. Whangarei is 2.5 hours north of Auckland, New Zealand.
● Work with our existing head coach and understand being flexible with working hours to accommodate bookings.
● Have the ability to coordinate and organise groups of both children and adults.
● To be confident in session planning, including communication, public speaking and tailoring sessions towards sailors abilities.
● Understand and follow high standards of safety towards all sailors and volunteers. Manage our current programme and where appropriate build and develop new programmes.
● Mentor and guide junior coaches who are training for certification.
● Build on the work that has been accomplished over the last 6 years and add to our friendly team.
● $25/ Hour, subject to experience
● Expected to do approximately 27 hours per week. This may be more or less, depending on sessions booked. We are open to a job share opportunity with the right applicants.
For more information about us visit https://www.sailnorthland.org.nz/ Please send your CV and cover letter by 1 August 2022 to: Sarah Ihaka (Secretary) email@example.com.
Akarana Sailing Academy - Royal Akarana Yacht Club Race Lead Coach Position
The Akarana Sailing Academy was established in 2001 and since then has produced local, national and world champions through the comprehensive courses provided to sailors from the age of 8 to 80. The fun yet knowledgeable coaching approach encourages learning in an exciting and safe environment. On average, the Academy sees just under 1,000 students attend the courses each year. We have a strong focus on fun and social sailing programs as well as race and performance coaching.
We are looking to appoint a Race Lead Coach for our 2022-2023 Summer season. The position includes coaching our Race and Regatta Squads, as well as some of our development teams and other coaching groups.
From October 2022 to April 2023. Full time between 30 and 40 hours per week.
Skills & Experience Minimum requirements
- YNZ Race Coach certificate or higher (or equivalent)
- First Aid Certificate
- Power Boat Certificate
- Current Full Drivers License
- Competent swimmer
- Race Management experience
- Boat maintenance and repairs experience
Coaching and racing experience Minimum requirements
- Coached sailors at national and international regattas
- Personal experience racing at national and international regattas
- Race Management experience
- 5 years of previous coaching experience
- Prefer with previous Lead Coach experience
- Race and Regatta coaching.
- Coach Development groups and multiple coaching levels when required.
- Working closely with Academy Manager and Head Coach to deliver excellence and consistency within our coaching programs.
- Assisting the Head Coach with the development of race and regatta programs.
- Daily supervision, briefing and debriefing of coaches to ensure Akarana Academy processes are followed including coordinating and preparing structured lesson plans
- Assist with induction training and professional development of RAYC coaches and assistant coaches in line with RAYC course requirements.
- Assisting with management of assets and equipment. Including maintenance, repair jobs, maintenance plan development and execution.
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to RAYC Head Coach Maria Ferrario, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: 2nd July, 2022
Provincial Coach - Alberta Sailing Association (Canada)
Alberta Sailing Association, in Western Canada, is seeking a provincial coach for their program for the 2023 season onwards. The season runs from May to end of September, but could also be flexible and extend further for the right candidate. The coach would:
· Coach the club coaches
· Support young sailors who travel to the various regattas in Canada
· Provides training for the masters (mostly Laser sailors)
· Apply for sailing grants
· Develop a program to address the various membership groups
· Develop a provincial young sailing team
For more information and to inquire, you can contact Glynis Dorey, Alberta Sailing Association Executive, at + 1 780 237 2397, on skype at glynis.dorey3, or to send a resume for the position you can email her at email@example.com.
Alberta Sailing Association is looking for a multi year commitment, and will work with the right candidate to support the visa process.
Nelson Yacht Club - Wingfoiling and Windsurfing Coach
The Nelson Yacht Club have seen tremendous growth in wingfoiling and windsurfing in recent times and are looking for someone to lead the club's programme.
Ideally with a background as a RYA windsurfing instructor, you’ll be an experienced instructor familiar with driving powerboats and teaching groups at all levels, from beginners through to advanced.
Proficiency in wingfoiling and demonstrable teaching experience are a must-have. Experience and qualifications in dinghy sailing instruction/coaching would also be an advantage, as would sales/retail experience.
- Coordinate the windsurfing and wingfoiling programmes at the club
- Instruct, coach and inspire the club's windsurfers and wingfoilers with a tailored approach to different ages and ability levels
- Develop and maintain relationships with equipment suppliers, manage stock levels and develop opportunities for clothing and equipment sales through the club shop
- Mentor and train other members of the team
- Communicate with members, clients and parents to coordinate bookings, payments and progression
- Create a fun, inclusive and welcoming atmosphere for all members and visitors and build the community
- Undertake the necessary maintenance for the club’s fleet of windsurfing and wingfoiling equipment
- Work with the club manager and chief instructor to ensure health and safety standards are upheld
- Work with the club manager and chief instructor to plan and implement an effective marketing strategy to deliver growth in windsurfing and wingfoiling activity
- Maintain an active social media presence across current platforms and explore new opportunities
- Teach/coach dinghy sailing as appropriate to qualifications and experience
- Support all club sailing activities
This is a fixed-term, part-time, seasonal position or contracting opportunity from October to April (exact dates tbc) and allows for some flexibility and ability to manage your own work schedule.
Applicants must have the right to work in New Zealand or be able to get a valid New Zealand work visa.
Contact Tim Fraser-Harris on 022 548 7501 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, including a full job description.
TYPBC Sailing School Head Coach
We have an exciting coaching Job up for grabs! Do you have what it takes to help take our club’s sailing school to the next level?
Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat (TYPBC) are looking to appoint a fulltime qualified Head Coach to lead their Sailing Programme for the 2022 and 2023 season.
Based in Tauranga Harbour, New Zealand (only 2 ½ hours from Auckland); TYPBC has a strong history of producing Olympic and America’s Cup champions. Are you our next coach to produce amazing sailors from the Bay of Plenty?
The TYPBC Sailing School offer Learn to Sail and Race Programmes to Youth and Adults in Optimist, Bic, P Class, Starling, Laser, Schools 420 team racing and windsurfing along with school Sailing Taster Programmes.
This will be a fulltime position with a great pay package. We can include accomodation with a spectacular view and a competitive pay rate. This will all be up for discussion if you are lucky enough to get an interview with us.
We are interviewing NOW to appoint someone for our upcoming season. If you are interested in this role and want to find out more, or just simply want to apply for the role, please contact Lynne – Sailing School Co-Ordinator at email@example.com
North Sails - Sail maker
Location: North Shore
Job type: full time
Description: The Company: North Sails is the world leader in sailmaking. Featuring over 150 lofts across the globe, innovative products and materials, and the North Sails Collection. North Sails New Zealand is looking to employ new staff at their custom-built loft in Auckland, New Zealand. North Sails New Zealand specialise in grand prix and custom race sails for the local and worldwide market including TP52 Super Series teams, RC44 and Fast 40 class. There is also a service division, servicing anything from optimist, local club cruisers and racers, up to some of the worlds finest superyachts.
The Role: Your key role will be seaming together lightweight nylon and polyester spinnakers. Working as part of a small close knit team you will have options to expand your skills and knowledge. Duties:
- Sewing different types and weights of nylon, polyester and laminate fabrics
- Prepping and prefabricating detailing and application of the detailing to sails
- Cleaning and oiling machines
- Checking your work against other products
- Cleaning your work areas
Skill and experience
- Experience in commercial sewing is a bonus (can provide training for the right candidate)
- Work efficiently and accurately
- Attention to fine details
- Work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Team friendly
- Must have a valid work visa or be a New Zealand citizen
Apply online for this role or contact Guy Hewson for more information.
Taikata Sailing Club - learn to sail coach
The Taikata Sailing Club are searching for an energetic and engaging coach for their new learn to sail programme. The successful applicant will lead the club's Sunday sessions of about 6-8 youngsters.
Preferably the coach will be a current dinghy sailor with Yachting New Zealand Level 1 qualifications, however, other experience will be considered. (Coaches must be fully vaccinated).
The learn to sail group will consist of 6-8 kids aged from 8-12 years old. The majority of the kids have parents with sailing or boating experience, so assistance will be on hand to support the coach with the practical side of boat launching and rigging etc.
The course will run for approximately 2-3 hours on Sundays alongside TSC regular sailing activities. Hourly rates to be negotiated based on experience.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Doyle Sails is a proudly New Zealand owned and operated company that has been the leading supplier for high performance, superyacht, racing and cruising sails for more than 40 years.
With innovation and excellence at the heart of what we do, Doyle Sails is a fast paced, ever-expanding company that is taking the world by storm. With a very full order book, we’re looking for dynamic people to join our team where you will be working with a team of high profile, high performance and experienced sailors and sailmakers, who are the best in the business.
With opportunities for growth either in Auckland or amongst our 50 lofts around the world, all levels of experience are welcome to apply, including those looking for apprenticeship positions or those with years of sailmaking experience. Multiple positions will be made available to the right candidates at all levels, with higher than the industry standard remuneration packages to match experience.
Alternatively, if you are a contract worker and would like to join our team, please also apply.
Contact : email@example.com