Aon New Zealand – boat insurance
Aon exists to shape decisions for the better — to protect and enrich the lives of people in Aotearoa New Zealand, and around the world.
Our long-term commitment to Yachting New Zealand, combined with the expertise of our market leading marine division, ensures that we provide Yachting New Zealand clubs and members with comprehensive and reliable insurance cover – both on and off the water.
Dinghy, tender and racing boat
Insurance for your boat, trailer and equipment throughout New Zealand, while travelling on land or on water. Includes racing cover and is available to all members of affiliated Yachting New Zealand clubs.
• Agreed value: not based on market value, instead, you set the sum insured.
• Racing cover: usually only offered as an extension for additional premium, our offering includes racing cover for damage to your own boat or a third party.
• Extended third party liability up to $10 million
Overseas regatta and transit insurance
Insurance for your racing boat, equipment and third party liability cover while you're competing in an overseas regatta – insurance covers you while racing and in transit. A third party only insurance cover option is also available to align with the notice of race.
Personal travel insurance for both amateur and professional sailors which extends to include injury cover whilst training or racing. Aon provide the following options:
For amateur sailors competing in events, in non-mechanically propelled watercraft less than ten (10) metres in length, and where total regatta prize money is below NZ$1,000, travel insurance can be purchased on Aon’s website here.
If you purchase this policy, there are a few things worth noting:
• This policy offers liability limits of NZ$2m (Essential Plan) or NZ$5m (Comprehensive and Prestige Plan) with no specific exclusion for on water third party liability cover. This may not be sufficient to meet the regatta notice of race third party liability requirement.
• This policy does not extend to provide insurance for sailors under the age of 18 years old.
• This policy does not cover for injury to family, close relatives or travel companions.
• If the insured gives control of their vessel to another person and that person causes a loss, the skipper could be held liable, and the vessel owner vicariously liable. Under this scenario, the policy may not respond as it’s not a liability directly incurred by the Insured.
• The policy only responds to wreck removal/salvage costs of a third-party vessel, not the insured vessel.
• Training isn’t classed as racing under this policy so loss arising from training may not be covered.
For amateur sailors whose requirements fall outside the travel policy criteria as outlined above, and for professional sailors, Aon have an alternative, tailored travel policy available which also extends to cover injury whilst racing or training. To discuss this policy, please contact Aon’s Marine team as below.
Yacht and launch insurance
Aon can provide insurance for larger yachts and launches. For more information, please contact the Aon Marine team or visit Aon Boat Insurance.
Find out how Aon can support you with insurance for your boat, racing and travel.
Say hello to the Aon team today.
Contact Chloe Donnelly
(09) 362 9048 or 027 257 9361 | email@example.com
Contact Darren Pattle
(09) 362 9071 | firstname.lastname@example.org