The Yachting Excellence Awards recognise excellence in sailing, from Optimists through to offshore boats. This country has produced, and continues to produce, some outstanding sailors who have achieved some amazing feats on the world stage. Previous winners of the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy for the Sailor of the Year include Sir Peter Blake, Barbara Kendall, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, Sir Russell Coutts, Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie, Bruce Farr, and Emirates Team New Zealand. But the annual Yachting Excellence Awards, which features a gala dinner, are also an opportunity to recognise achievements at local and club level and there are many who do so much to make these places special.
The awards will be presented on Friday 12th November 2021 at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron. Tickets will be on sale in September.
The following award categories are recognised;
- Orbit World Travel Sailor of the Year Award for the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy
- Male Sailor of the Year Award
- Female Sailor of the Year Award
- Young Male Sailor of the Year Award
- Young Female Sailor of the Year Award
- Yachting New Zealand Coach of the Year
- Official of the Year
- Aon Emerging Talent Award
- President's Award
- Young Leader Award
- Sportsmanship Award
- Sustainability Award
- Yachting New Zealand Service Awards
- Yachting New Zealand Performance Awards
- Yachting New Zealand Youth Performance Awards
- Yachting New Zealand Cruising Awards
The criteria for each award is detailed here
2020 Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards
The 2020 Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards were hosted at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron on the 20th November where we celebrated the achievements of the past year.
You can find a list of the 2020 winners and all previous winners on the Roll of Honour.
Please contact Beth Orton for any inquiries regarding the event or possible sponsorship opportunities.