Yachting New Zealand and Aon support the ongoing growth and development of youth sailors on the path to fulfilling their potential.
It is important you read about the programme before completing the registration process, however, you can go directly to the information you are looking for by using the quicklinks listed below:
The Yachting New Zealand youth programme aims to develop and prepare young sailors who dream of international success at youth level and beyond. The programme aims to achieve the following:
- Win medals at world championships
- Inspire and educate sailors towards Olympic campaigns
- Develop the skill range of all sailors (professionalism, problem solving, resilience, technical, communication etc) to a high level and open up all future opportunities available in the sailing community
- 64% of our current NZL Sailing Team were previous medallists at either a Youth Sailing World Championships or international class world championship
- Expose young people to exceptional life memories and experiences across different cultures
- Sailing is hard and learning to be good at it builds great people who have the skill to better tackle life’s challenges
The programme is based around three key fundamental philosophies:
- Have fun working hard
- Do every little bit in every little moment of every single day to be the best you can
- Constantly seek to be better
- Perform at the 2018 Youth World Sailing Championships
- Perform at the class world championships – Laser Radial youth worlds, 420 worlds, RSX youth worlds, 29er worlds and Nacra 15 world championships
The Yachting New Zealand youth programme focuses on the classes sailed at the Youth Sailing World Championships. These classes are:
- International 420 men and women
- 29er men and women
- RSX 8.5 (60cm fin) men and women
- Laser Radial men and women
- Nacra 15 mixed
The age limit for sailing youth classes at international level is under 19 as of December 31 in the year of the event. For example, for the 2018 Youth Sailing World Championships the sailors must be under 19 on December 31, 2018, to be eligible.
To adapt to the changing environment of youth sailing in New Zealand, there are a number of changes to the youth programme for the 2017/2018 season. The key features of the 2017/2018 programme are:
- The 2017/2018 programme will run from the 2017 Murrays Bay winter champs through until September 1, 2018
- The Nacra 15 will be fully introduced to the programme
- No New Zealand class national championships support will be offered when a nationals is a trial event for any class.
- New clinics which have been introduced to the programme;
- Existing clinics which will be continued are:
Clubs and sailors who would like more information on the changes to the programme should should contact the youth co-ordinator, Stu Thomas
The calendar is an indication of what we intend to do. There are still some opportunities for us to take advantage of, and these will be updated on the calendar as various regatta dates are posted.