As many as eight young sailors will have the chance to join the Pathway to Podium programme for 2019/20, which has the potential to take their sailing to a new level.
Pathway to Podium (P2P) is a partnership between High Performance Sport New Zealand and Yachting New Zealand which provides additional support to athletes who are two to three years away from being an HPSNZ-supported athlete.
The 12 sailors selected for the NZL Sailing Foundation Youth Team to compete at this year's youth sailing world championships in Gdynia automatically qualify but there are up to eight more spots available to sailors who apply through Yachting New Zealand.
Athletes are given support in areas such as performance planning, training regimes, mental skills, strength and conditioning, and nutrition.
A selection panel of Yachting New Zealand and HPSNZ representatives will be formed to select these athletes. We are looking for people who are committed to their sailing with the aim of:
- Performing on the youth world stage in 2019 and 2020 (open or youth worlds)
- Planning to move in to an Olympic class within the next two years
- Committed to improving their physical preparation
- Becoming a HPSNZ-carded athlete within three years. This generally means making one of Yachting New Zealand’s Olympic squads – Fast Track, Olympic Development, NZL Sailing Team
Applications close on Friday, May 24. The selection panel will meet in late May with recipients notified shortly after this. The programme will run through to March 2020.
Click here for more information and the application form.
- Pic: 420 world champions Seb Menzies and Blake McGlashan are on the P2P programme.