The Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards recognise excellence in sailing, from Optimists through to offshore boats. This country has produced, and continues to produce, some outstanding sailors who have achieved some amazing feats on the world stage. Previous winners of the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy for the Sailor of the Year include Sir Peter Blake, Barbara Kendall, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, Sir Russell Coutts, Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie, Bruce Farr, and Emirates Team New Zealand. But the annual Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards, which features a gala dinner, are also an opportunity to recognise achievements at local and club level and there are many who do so much to make these places special.
The following award categories are recognised;
- Orbit World Travel Sailor of the Year Award for the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy
- Zhik Male Sailor of the Year Award (new)
- Zhik Female Sailor of the Year Award (new)
- Volvo Young Male Sailor of the Year Award (new)
- Volvo Young Female Sailor of the Year Award (new)
- Yachting New Zealand Coach of the Year
- Yachting New Zealand Official of the Year
- Aon Emerging Talent Award
- Lawson's Dry Hills President's Award
- Lucke Young Leader Award
- North Sails Sportsmanship Award
- Propspeed Sustainability Award
- Yachting New Zealand Service Awards - supported by Boating New Zealand
- Yachting New Zealand Performance Awards - supported by Zhik
- Yachting New Zealand Youth Performance Awards - supported by Harken
- Yachting New Zealand Cruising Awards - supported by Wichard by Kiwi Yachting
The criteria for each award is detailed Here
2019 Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards
Last year's awards were held at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, with Dan Slater picking up the top award as the Orbit World Travel Sailor of the year.
You can find a list of winners from that night as well as previous years on the Roll of Honour.
2020 Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards
Nominations for the 2020 Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards are now open and will close on August 31. Nomination Form
Winners will be announcement in November and the date and venue will be announced soon.
Please contact Monique de Sousa for any inquiries regarding the event or possible sponsorship opportunities.