The Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards recognise excellence in sailing, from Optimists through to offshore boats. This country has produced, and continues to produce, some outstanding sailors who have achieved some amazing feats on the world stage. Previous winners of the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy for the Sailor of the Year include Sir Peter Blake, Barbara Kendall, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, Sir Russell Coutts, Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie, Bruce Farr, and Emirates Team New Zealand. But the annual Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards, which features a gala dinner, are also an opportunity to recognise achievements at local and club level and there are many who do so much to make these places special.
The following award categories are recognised;
- Orbit World Travel Sailor of the Year Award for the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy
- Volvo Young Sailor of the Year Award
- Coach of the Year
- Zhik Official of the Year
- Aon Emerging Talent Award
- Lawson's Dry Hills President's Award
- Lucke Young Leader Award (New)
- North Sails Sportsmanship Award (New)
- Propspeed Sustainability Award (New)
- Yachting New Zealand Service Awards - supported by Boating New Zealand
- Yachting New Zealand Performance Awards - supported by Zhik
- Yachting New Zealand Youth Performance Awards - supported by Harken
- Yachting New Zealand Cruising Awards - supported by Wichard by Kiwi Yachting
The criteria for each award is detailed Here
A list of winners from previous years can be found on the Roll of Honour.
2019 Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards
This year's awards were hosted at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, on the 8th of November, where we celebrated the achievements of the past year - and there have been plenty at both national and international level - as well as the volunteers and support staff who make success possible at all levels of the sport.
Nominations are now closed
Congratulations to our 2019 Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards Winners!
Click here to read all about it
Ticket sales are now closed
Please contact Monique de Sousa for any enquiries regarding the event or possible sponsorship opportunities.