The Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards recognise excellence in sailing, from Optimists through to offshore boats. This country has produced, and continues to produce, some outstanding sailors who have achieved some amazing feats on the world stage. Previous winners of the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy for the Sailor of the Year include Sir Peter Blake, Barbara Kendall, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, Sir Russell Coutts, Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie, Bruce Farr, and Emirates Team New Zealand. But the annual Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards, which features a gala dinner, are also an opportunity to recognise achievements at local and club level and there are many who do so much to make these places special.
Some of the award recipients have been announced already, read more here.
The following award categories are recognised;
- Orbit World Travel Sailor of the Year Award for the Sir Bernard Fergusson Trophy
- Zhik Male Sailor of the Year Award
- Zhik Female Sailor of the Year Award
- NZL Sailing Foundation Young Male Sailor of the Year Award
- NZL Sailing Foundation Young Female Sailor of the Year Award
- Yachting New Zealand Coach of the Year
- SeaLogs Official of the Year
- Aon Emerging Talent Award
- Lawson's Dry Hills President's Award
- LUCK-E Young Leadership Award
- North Sails Sportsmanship Award
- Yachting New Zealand Sustainability Award
- Yachting New Zealand Service Awards supported by Boating New Zealand
- Yachting New Zealand Performance Awards
- Yachting New Zealand Youth Performance Awards supported by Harken
- Yachting New Zealand Cruising Awards supported by Wichard on Safety at Sea
The criteria for each award is detailed here
You can find a list of the previous award recipients on the Roll of Honour.
Please contact Beth Orton for any inquiries regarding the event or possible sponsorship opportunities.