Pleasant Point Yacht Club (PPYC) is located in South New Brighton Domain, Christchurch. It is a friendly, informal family club where sailing is fun!
Pleasant Point Yacht Club was founded in 1921 at Pleasant Point Domain as it was then called, now South New Brighton Park. It moved across the Avon River in 1929 to establish a base beside the South New Brighton Bridge on what was to become known as Rat Island Reserve. It operated from this reserve until the 4th of September 2010 earthquake, which destroyed the buildings and the land. The club established a new base in the South New Brighton Park in the winter of 2013, opening for our first season at the new location in September 2013.
PPYC are currently working out of five shipping containers as they look to build new facilities after the Canterbury earthquakes. If they can raise $1 million to re-build the clubrooms, apart from ensuring their club thrives, they will be contributing to the regeneration of South New Brighton and grassroots sailing in eastern Christchurch.