Registration with Yachting New Zealand is a once only for boat owners. If ownership of a boat changes, the onus is upon the new owner to re-register the vessel in their name.
Why Register your boat with Yachting New Zealand?
Racing: In order to be eligible for racing, boats must hold a current Certificate of Registration ensuring compliance with RRS 76.1 as outlined on pages 57-58 of the Yachting New Zealand Racing Rules of Sailing.
Emergency: Registration is strongly encouraged for recreational and racing boats for safety and security reasons, enabling rapid tracing of a boat in the event of theft, mishap or more serious maritime emergencies. An alarming number of registered boats do not have current owner details, leaving Yachting New Zealand and rescue authorities helpless in the event of an emergency. We request all boat owners keep Yachting New Zealand informed of any changes.
How do I register my boat?
Use our quick and easy online registration form
How long does it take to process an application?
Boat registration and change of ownership applications can take up to 15 working days to be processed.
Sail Numbers and Registration Fees (GST inclusive)
YOU PAY ONCE - THE FEE IS NOT AN ANNUAL FEE
- Change of ownership / Change of boat name - $55.00 for both if completed at the same time, otherwise $55.00 each. - If the boat is re-registered within a reasonable time, the sail number remains with the boat. Yachting New Zealand reserves the right to re-allocate boat numbers when owners of previously registered boats cannot be traced after two years.
- New boat or previously unregistered - $105.00 - Previously unregistered vessels will be issued with a Standard Sail Number which is the next consecutive registration number.
- Personalised number - The Sail Number you choose will determine the final cost;
- General Sail Number - $260.00 - Owners may choose a sail number that is ahead of the next consecutive number, provided that number has not been set aside as a collectors number.
- Collectors numbers - $515.00 - Owners may choose a unique sail number. These numbers are either symmetrical or mirror image or in some way unique, eg. 6969, 8448. For details of available numbers please contact Kelly Mulcahy
- Trailer Yachts - A Sail Number for Trailer Yachts cannot be granted until Rule 4.4 of the Trailer Yacht Safety Regulations has been complied with. The NZTYA must first approve the design of the yacht.
Choosing a Boat Name
The Yachting New Zealand Register of Vessels lists alphabetically the names of all registered boats. Duplicate or phonetically similar names cannot be registered for safety reasons. If the name you choose has already been taken, it is possible to add I, II, III to distinguish between boats. Click here to view the list of boats that are already registered or contact Kelly Mulcahy to ask.
The Yachting New Zealand Register of Vessels
The Register of Vessels held at Yachting New Zealand is a complete list of nationally registered boats. The online register contains information on ownership of all Yachting New Zealand registered keelboats, multihulls and trailer yachts including:
- Sail number
- Boat name
- Owner name
Yachting New Zealand yacht registration provides you with a sail number for racing and safety purposes within New Zealand. If you want to prove Nationality or meet New Zealand Customs requirements you will find more information on the Maritime NZ website here.