Andy is a different sailor to the one who narrowly missed out on selection for the 2016 Rio Olympics in the Laser to eventual bronze medallist Sam Meech.
Not only is he campaigning in the Finn but he’s also an America’s Cup winner. That victory with Emirates Team New Zealand in Bermuda in 2017 is part of the reason why he’s switched to the heavyweight dinghy - he needed to put on weight for the America’s Cup to produce enough power for the thirsty AC50 catamaran and wants to retain it for the America’s Cup defence in 2021.
He’s achieved considerable success in dinghy sailing, highlighted by winning bronze at the 2012 Laser world championships. He’s also won World Cup regattas (2013 Palma), is a three-time national Laser champion and in 2008 won the Laser Radial youth world title on home waters in Auckland.
He quickly established himself as one of the world's leading Finn sailors, and in 2019 won both the World Cup Series final in Marseille and Princess Sofia Regatta and was also second at the Finn European championships.
Andy has also proven his abilities in different boats. He was part of the NZL Sailing Team who won the inaugural Red Bull Youth America’s Cup in 2013, has sailed in the Extreme Sailing Series and is a national match racing champion skipper.
Maloney’s sailing education started when his parents bought a 44-foot yacht and took Andy and his sister Alex, who won silver at last year’s Rio Olympics in the 49erFX with Molly Meech, around the Pacific Islands for about three years and was later refined during his time at the Murrays Bay Sailing Club.
- 2019 Finn Gold Cup - 6th
- 2019 Olympic test event - 4th
- 2019 World Cup Series Final Marseille - 1st
- 2019 Finn Europeans - 2nd
- 2019 Princess Sofia Regatta - 1st
- 2018 sailing world championships - 10th
- 2018 World Cup Series Final - 3rd
- 2018 Princess Sofia Regatta - 3rd
- 2018 Oceanbridge NZL Sailing Regatta - 2nd
- 2017 Harbour Sports Excellence Awards, supreme winner
- 2017 New Zealand match racing championships - 1st
- 2017 America’s Cup winner
- 2016 Laser world championships - 16th
- 2016 Hyeres World Cup - 5th
- 2016 Princess Sofia - 1st
- 2016 Oceanbridge Sail Auckland - 1st
- 2016 Miami World Cup - 9th
- 2015 Sailing World Cup final - 11th
- 2015 Rio Test Event - 11th
- 2015 Laser world championships - 6th
- 2015 Weymouth World Cup - 7th
- 2015 Hyeres World Cup - 9th
- 2015 Oceanbridge Sail Auckland - 1st
- 2015 Miami World Cup - 4th
- 2015 Laser national championships - 1st
- 2014 Melbourne World Cup - 4th
- 2014 Laser national championships - 1st
- 2014 Hyeres World Cup - 2nd
- 2013 Sail for Gold - 4th
- 2013 Laser Europa Cup - 2nd
- 2013 Delta Lloyd Regatta - 3rd
- 2013 Garda and Trentino Olympic Week - 1st
- 2013 Hyeres World Cup - 3rd
- 2013 Palma World Cup - 1st
- 2013 Laser national championships - 1st
- 2012 Laser world championships - 3rd
- 2012 World Cup regatta Semaine Olympique Francaise - 2nd
- 2012 Sailing world championships - 13th
- 2008 Laser Radial youth world championships - 1st
- 2006 - 420 world championships - 8th
- 2006 - Splash world championships - 3rd
- 2005 Splash world championships - 3rd