For Sam Meech Rio 2016 was his first Olympic Games appearance.
Recent highlights for Meech in his bid to secure the coveted Laser selection include a silver medal at Sailing World Cup Hyeres in April and a bronze medal at Sailing World Cup Miami in January.
The 25 year-old hails from the Tauranga Yacht & Powerboat Club and spent a good part of his childhood cruising internationally on the family keelboat.
Sam’s younger sister Molly also represented New Zealand at Rio 2016 sailing in the 49erFX women’s skiff event together with Alexandra Maloney.
Mark Howard is coach to the NZL Sailing Team Laser squad.
- 2016 Rio Olympic Games - Bronze
- 2016 Sailing World Cup Hyeres - 2nd
- 2016 Sailing World Cup Miami - 3rd
- 2015 Laser World Championships - 7th
- 2014 Laser World Championship - 9th
- 2014 Olympic Test Event, Rio - 9th
- 2014 Delta Lloyd Regatta - 1st
- 2013 ISAF Sailing World Cup Palma – 3rd
- NZL Sailing Team with ETNZ - Red Bull Youth America's Cup Champions
- 2013 Laser World Championships - 13th
- 2013 Sail for Gold Regatta - 1st
- 2013 Delta Lloyd Regatta - 5th
- 2013 Laser Europa Cup - 1st
- 2012 Sail Sydney Regatta - 1st