Jason Saunders, from the Tauranga Yacht & Powerboat Club, sailed at Rio 2016 in the mixed gender multihull event (Nacra 17), which was one of two events never seen before at the Olympic Games.
This was his second Olympic Games, having represented New Zealand at London 2012 in the Men’s 470 class sailing with Paul Snow-Hansen. There they placed 5th overall.
Jones and Saunders paired up for a Nacra 17 campaign after its inclusion in the Olympic Games was announced back in 2013, and are one of the younger crews competing in this exciting class which features fast and furious racing, and has attracted some experienced and accomplished international sailors.
The young kiwis haven’t let that intimidate them however and in 2015 they achieved some impressive results with a 4th place at the 2015 Nacra World Championships and a 5th place at the 2015 Olympic Test Event in Rio.
- 2016 Rio Olympic Games - 4th
- 2016 Sailing World Cup Weymouth & Portland - 11th
- 2016 Sailing World Cup Hyeres - 11th
- 2016 Nacra17 World Championship, Clearwater - 14th
- 2015 Olympic Test Event Rio - 5th
- 2015 Nacra 17 World Championships - 4th
- 2014 Nacra 17 World Championship - 5th
- 2014 Olympic Test Event, Rio - 6th
- 2013 NZL Sailing Team with ETNZ - Red Bull Youth America's Cup Champions
- 9th - 2013 Nacra17 World Championship
- 5th place London 2012 Olympic Games - Men’s 470 class
- Bronze Medal 2012 Sail for Gold Regatta
- Winner 2012 French Spring Cup Regatta
- See full results history here